Father Muller School of nursing is a unit of Father Muller Charitable Institutions a Registered society sponsored by the Catholic Diocese of Mangalore and also a Religious Minority Educational Institution established primarily for the benefit of the members of the Christian community.It is open like all other educational institutions under Catholic auspices, to all persons irrespective of religion, caste or community and is recognized by Indian Nursing Council, Karnataka state Nursing Council.Father Muller Charitable Institutions (FMCI) had a very humble beginning in the year 1880, when Father Muller, a German Jesuit missionary started dispensing Homoeopathic medicines to the ailing poor under a banyan tree.Though it was started as leprosy hospital, as need arose, an Allopathic Hospitalwas started and the care was extended to all patients suffering various diseases.
Gradually the tiny mustard seed of Father Muller humanitarian service took deep roots and branched out to be a full growing tree.Today it has become a vast health care complex consisting of 1050 beds with all specialities and some of though super-specialities
The Nursing Department was staffed by a band of dedicated women of the locality for the first few years.Thereafter, the Sisters of Charity associated themselves with the good work Father Muller from 1898 onwards and have been rendering dedicated service since then.With the addition of improve of medical and surgical services, professionally trained nursing personnel were a felt need of the hospital, as a response to which a School of Nursing was founded in 16 th July 1959 with a view to educating and preparing dedicated young women for humanitarian service in hospitals and communities or wherever they are called upon to serve ailing humanity.
- Acquire knowledge of theory and principles of nursing and allied subjects which are involved in the delivery of comprehensive nursing practice.
- Develop skill in applying scientific principles and knowledge in rendering health services in the hospital and community.
- Assesses the client’s need, plan, implement and evaluate nursing care given.
- Participate as member of the heath team in the promotive, preventive, curative and rehabilitative health care delivery system of the society.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and acquire skills in problem solving and decision making at different levels of work and life.
- Recognize the need for continued learning for their personal and professional development.
Father Muller School of Nursing professes the Motto “Ever faithful” to uphold quality Nursing care, instill respect for life and human dignity of a person conception to death.
The faculty of the School Nursing believes in providing nursing education based and built on scientific principles and sound educational theory and practice in order to prepare professionally qualified nurses, who will be able to function as a team member, in all health care agencies in the role of a practicing nurse. The graduate with experience can rapidly move into leadership positions in Nursing Education, Nursing service and administration. We promote all round development of the students with special emphasis on human moral, psychological cultural, intellectual.