Father Muller College of Nursing is a unit of Father Muller Charitable Institutions a Registered Society sponsored by the Catholic Diocese of Mangalore & also a Religious Minority Educational Institution established primarily for the benefit of the members of the Christian Community. It is open, like all other Educational Institutions under Catholic auspices, to all persons irrespective of religion, caste or community and is affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka, Bangalore and Recognized by Nursing Council of India.
Father Muller Charitable Institutions (FMCI) had a very humble beginning in the year 1880, when Fr Muller, a German Jesuit missionary started dispensing Homoeopathic medicines to the ailing poor under a banyan tree. Though it was started as a leprosy hospital, as need arose, an Allopathic Hospital was started and the care was extended to all patients suffering from various diseases.
Gradually the tiny mustard seed of Fr Muller humanitarian service took deep roots and branched out to be a full grown tree. Today it has become a vast health care complex consisting of 1050 beds with all specialties and some of the super-specialties.
The Nursing Department was staffed by a band of dedicated women of the locality for the first few years. Thereafter, the Sisters of Charity associated themselves with the good work of Father Muller from 1898 onwards and have been rendering dedicated service since then. With the addition of improved medical and surgical services, professionally trained nursing personnel were a felt need of the hospital, as a response to which a School of Nursing was founded in 1959.
The year 1985 saw the birth of a Homoeopathic Medical College which boosted the morale of FMCI, being the pioneer in Homoeopathy in South India.
In 1987 the College of Nursing came into existence with the Four Year B.Sc. Nursing Degree Course to keep pace with the rapid advancement in Medical and Nursing Sciences. The Post Certificate B.Sc. Nursing Degree Course of two years duration for upgrading those with Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery was started in 1988.
In 1991 the Institution ventured upon an Institute of Medical Education and Research with a Post Graduate Programme in Dermatology (M.D., D.V.D. & D.N.B.) while in the year 1993 it was extended to 8 other specialties of medicine, namely: General Medicine, General Surgery, Orthopaedics, Ophthalmology, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Paediatrics, Psychiatry and Anaesthesiology.
As a response to the pressing need of the profession for teachers and Nurse leaders as it was keenly felt all over the country, a Post Graduate Degree Programme in Nursing namely M.Sc. Nursing was started in 1992.
The Year 1994 and 1995 added another feather on the cap, when Fr Muller ventured upon three new University Degree programmes in the paramedical field, namely, the Bachelor of Physiotherapy, Radiography and B.Sc. in Medical Laboratory Technology all under the same roof of the Institute of Medical Education and Research. The year 1996-97 saw the dawn of Post Graduate studies in Hospital Management, and in 1998-1999 Post Graduate degree studies M.D. in Homoeopathic Medicine and M.Sc. in Psycho-Social Rehabilitation. Fr Muller became a full fledged Medical College in 1999 when it started a MBBS course.
All the Nursing courses together with the medical and paramedical courses offered by Father Muller Charitable Institutions contribute not only towards the diverse health needs of the local people, but also caters to Quality Patient Care as well as towards preparing Quality Health Care Personnel for the entire country and abroad.